Tuesday, April 29, 2008

The Metagame

So, back in the day, I used to play Magic: The Gathering, a card game where you would design your "deck" by customizing a deck of of 60 cards, in a structured game. The thing was, there were many thousdands of different cards available, so there were many different ways to put together successful decks. So, if you were going to play in a tournament, one of the major considerations was the metagame, or consideration of how other people were going to design their decks (based on what was popular at the time). Understanding what people were going to do, helped you immensely, since you could design a deck that may be sub-optimal against one of many standard archetypes, but could be dominating against the most popular archetype.


For example, in Rock, Paper, Scissors (or rochambeau), assuming no knowledge, your best strategy would be to throw randomly, since there would be no chance of your opponent picking up a pattern. However, if you knew that 90% of your opponents would throw Rock, then you would be insane to stick with your random throws. Instead, you would be throwing Paper lik there was no tomorrow. This information, outside the structure of the game, is a part of the metagame.


Now, in fantasy sports, I definitely apply some aspects of metagaming into how I design my teams. It's a little different, since you don't see nearly as much variation of team composition, as you would in Magic, so the value of knowing what people are going to to isn't quite as high. And more importantly, it's important to consider the individuals involved.


The first place that the metagame matters is in the UPL is in the draft room. The first rule should be obvious. Figure out who's auto-drafting based on Yahoo! rankings. This is the single most important aspect of drafting in online drafts where not everyone is there (like in the UPL). So think of it this way. If you were the only live drafter in a draft, with everyone else auto-drafting, then you know exactly what players will be available for you. This is a huge advantage, as you turn a very dynamic problem, with 12 individuals, all acting independently, into a very static problem, with 1 individual operating in a known environment. We've never had a draft with only 1 liver person, but we have had scenarios with multiple auto-drafters. A dream scenario for me would be something like drafting 8th, and having teams 9, 10, 11, and 12 all on auto-draft. In this scenario, I know with some precision exactly which 8 players are coming off the board before I draft again (obviously, this only works in one direction on the S curve, but you get the idea).


Now, the next level is to understand tendencies of the individuals that are drafting. If you've been playing for a while you have some idea of the players that each of your competitors likes. You could just target those players, to annoy your opponent, but that may not be the best way of doing it, since you could be just killing both of your teams. But, understanding these tendencies helps. How do you know these things?


First of all, geography matters. If you're playing with a bunch of Chicago Cubs fans, the you should know some things. You won't see a ton of difference in the established stars. Sure, someone may jump a few picks to make sure that they get, say, Zambrano or D-Lee on their team. But that's a relatively small difference, maybe half a round. Where it matters more is with the later rounds. You may see folks jump on guys like Soto, DeRosa, Theriot, etc. much earlier than you would expect in a completely unbiased draft. So, if you're high on Soto, you may need to pull the trigger on him earlier, if you are in a league with a couple Cubs fans.


The other thing is for owner-player tendencies. This year, I had Greg drafting right after me (I was 5th, he was 6th), I knew that Greg was high on Joe Nathan. So this year, as we were drafting, the 5th round rolls around, and I knew that I had to get Joe Nathan, since there was no chance that he was going to make it back to me in the 6th, primarily because my guess was that Greg was going to take him either right after me in the 5th, or right before me in the 6th, if he was still available. Similarly, since Greg is also a Reds fan, I had to roll w/ Adam Dunn in the 3rd with the 29th pick, rather than risk waiting for him to come back in the 4th, with the 44th pick, since Greg may have taken him at 30, and would have gotten him for sure at 43. So, even though Dunn was going, on average at the 45th pick, I strongly doubt that he would've gotten back to me. And just as interestingly, if you would have known me, then you would have known that I was going to take Dunn over Manny (who went off at 31), because I'm a Reds fan. Season after season, you see some players end up with the same teams. Knowing these tendencies helps you predict who will and won't be available.


You also run into owner-style tendencies. Year after year, you see some owners build the same type of team. Knowing this tendency helps, but it's difficult to realy take advantage of, and isn't quite as useful, overall, I don't think. Especially when you can pretty easily switch gears. Normally, I build my team around high OPS mashers. The ability to run is not required. I'll fill in a few closers, and then hope for the best out of my starting pitching. A couple years ago, I decided that starting pitchers were undervalued, and I came out drafting pitcher, pitcher, pitcher, and pretty much shocked the UPL regulars (well, C-Lauff, at least). Also tied in here is the style with which people draft. You see some guys really ignore pre-ranks, and what everyone else is doing, and draft who they like. You also see people who feel like they must respond to the immediate flow of the draft (like participating in a run on, say, closers). Which is best? I think that you need to do both. You need to target a few guys, but you also have to project out what a run on a certain position or stat category will do to you. I'm more of the former. I tend to ignore runs on positions (this year, I didn't even draft a catcher, after I didn't get the ones that I wanted), figuring that I'd just wait until I got a DL slot, and pick up Ryan Doumit (who has been awesome for an undrafted starting player).


In any case, when you combine metagame considerations with the mathematics of victory, you will have a leg up on the rest of your league.


-Chairman (aka O.N. Thugs)

5 comments:

Greg McConnell said...

I didn't like my draft position this year. I was sandwiched between you and CLauff, which was about as bad of a draft position as I could imagine.

Regarding Dunn, you're right in the sense that he would have been one of my next two picks. Although, I'm not a homer when it comes to favorite MLB teams in fantasy baseball. I got off that kick back in 2001 when I realized Larkin and Griffey were weak spots on my fantasy team. Case in point, last year when Homer Bailey was getting all the hype, I picked up Gallardo because he seemed like he'd put up the better fantasy numbers right away.

What you term the "metagame," I tend to think of as the psychological aspect of the game; and honestly, I'm about to reveal a secret that I had planned to take to the grave with me...

Last year, I think it was the final week of June, you had begun to make your run but both CLauff and I still had relatively big leads over you. However, I knew that by season's end every point would count, and I wanted to do everything possible to bury you early on.

So during the final week of June (or maybe it was May) I noticed that you still had a slumping Sammy Sosa on your team. Sure, he had been hot for a while earlier in the season, an RBI machine, but he had definitely cooled off. As I studied the situation, I saw no reason for you to have Sosa on your roster anymore, and I thought a cut might be near. And that's when I got an idea...

If I take to the message board and predict that Roland will cut Sosa by the end of the month (less than a week away), will that motivate him to hold onto Sosa an extra few days just to see if he can get rub it in my face if Sosa gets hot again?

As it turned out, I did go to the message board essentially mocking the fact that Sosa was still on your team and he'd be dropped before the end of the month. At the time, my only hope was that you'd keep Sosa another week. However, inexplicably, you kept a poorly slumping Sosa on your team another 4 weeks. I doubt that you'll admit my message board post affected your decision, but I will continue to believe what I want. ;-)

clauff said...

Greg,

I appreciate the compliment. Any time my name, your name and Roland's name appears in the same sentence in a fantasy baseball sentence, I am thrilled. If your strategy works Greg, I'm going to do my best to replicate it this year with one of Roland's iffy pitchers. Nothing like keeping a pitcher that has a couple of bad outings in a row and killing your ERA, WHIP and Losses in the process.

Roland, I enjoyed the analysis. I've learned a lot from your perspectives over the years, but clearly haven't put it all together...YET.

I still think I have a decent shot of putting it all together and pulling the upset, but an equally decent shot of finishing 3rd as well. It should get interesting.

Chairman said...

Greg - Honestly, I thought that you were posting about Sosa so that I would drop him, so that you could pick him up. He was actually providing a decent power and RBI at that point, particularly if you played the platoon, which I was doing. I don't recall when I actually dropped him, but I think it was when my roster couldn't take on a platoon guy. Honestly, most of my moves are to work around injuries. But it's interesting to hear your blurb about it.

I think that I will eventually put together a post about the psychological warfare (I think that the military calls them PsyOps - psychological operations) that you can subtly engage in. Posting on message boards can definitely be a part of it.

Chairman said...

C-Lauff - I'm still amused at having CJ in 2nd right now. But if you're gonna pull the upset, you'd better start hitting, and also figure out a way to keep me and Greg from rolling past you in saves :-)

As an aside, isn't it eerie how spot on my call about my team has been so far, based on our conversations earlier, and my Vantage Point post? Pujols lets me trade away A-Ram, but I think that even w/ Konerko in there, I may have been in position to trade for more pitching. We'll see.

And when are we going to see a post from you?

Greg McConnell said...

RG,

Sosa's numbers aren't on Yahoo anymore, so I'll have to look elsewhere for his 2007 game log. As I recall, the first (or perhaps second) time you picked him up I did make fun of the transaction on the message board, most likely out of boredom; and yes, Sosa did start to do pretty well for you early on. However, by the time I made "the post" mentioned in my previous comment, I no longer saw Sosa's value even in a platoon against lefties. To me, it seemed that whatever magic he had conjured up in the beginning of the season had worn off, and the league had adjusted to him. That, combined with his subpar season with Baltimore told me he was done.

And yeah, I did think it was possible you might think that I wanted Sosa. Either way, I hoped that my post would get you to hang onto Sosa just another week. Although, I might as well note, earlier this year when I mocked you for picking up I-Rod (again hoping that you would then seek to "prove" me wrong), you didn't pay me any attention and just dropped him the next day.

CLauff,

You're welcome for the compliment. Although, I'll be careful not to make a habit out of it. ;-)

BTW, getting back to the "homer" issue, I also drafted Pokey Reese (Reds 2B) in 2001. Never again...