Friday, July 16, 2010

2010 UPL Baseball Mid-Season Awards

So, without further ado, your 2010 UPL Baseball Mid-Season Awards

All-UPL First Team:

C: Miguel Olivo, Black Sox
1B: Miguel Cabrera, Cheeseheads
2B: Robinson Cano, Phatsnapper
3B: David Wright, O.N. Thugs
SS: Hanley Ramirez, Black Sox
OF: Vald Guerrero, Benver Droncos
OF: Carl Crawford, Cheeseheads
OF: Josh Hamilton, Phatsnapper
UTIL: Albert Pujols, IAmJabrone
UTIL: Alex Rios, Westy's Sluggers
SP: Ubaldo Jimenez, Benver Droncos
SP: Adam Wainwright, Phatnsapper
SP: Josh Johnson, Black Sox
SP: Jon Lester, JimmyDix
SP: Tim Lincecum, O.N. Thugs
RP: Mariano Rivera, SuckMyKnuckleballs
RP: Billy Wagner, Milwaukee Whiffers
RP: Heath Bell, Hats for Bats

All-UPL Second Team

C: tie, Brian McCann, JimmyDix and Geovany Soto, Cheeseheads
1B: Joey Votto, Mush Heads
2B: Dan Uggla, IamJabrone
3B: Evan Longoria, JimmyDixLongballs
SS: Rafael Furcal, Mush Heads
OF: Carlos Gonzalez, '90 Reds
OF: Adam Dunn, O.N. Thugs
OF: Corey Hart, O.N. Thugs
UTIL: Kevin Youkilis, SuckMyKnuckleballs
UTIL: Justin Morneau, Benver Droncos
SP: Clayton Kershaw, O.N. Thugs
SP: Jered Weaver, Hats for Bats
SP: Roy Halladay, Hats for Bats
SP: David Price, Phatsnapper
SP: Yovanni Gallardo, Phatsnapper
RP: Rafael Soriano, Cheeseheads
RP: Brian Wilson, '90 Reds
RP: Joakim Soria, O.N. Thugs

All-UPL Team Killers

C: Matt Weiters, Benver Droncos
1B: Pablo Sandoval, '90 Reds
2B: Aaron Hill, IamJabrone
3B: Aramis Ramirez, '90 Reds
SS: Jimmy Rollins, Benver Droncos
OF: Grady Sizemore, Westy's Sluggers
OF: Jacoby Ellsbury, IamJabrone
OF: Curtis Granderson, IamJabrone
UTIL: Kendry Morales, Hats for Bats
UTIL: Brian Roberts, Mush Heads
SP: Josh Beckett, SuckMyKunckleballs
SP: John Lackey, Westy's Sluggers
SP: Dan Haren, '90 Reds
SP: Wandy Rodriguez, '90 Reds
SP: Edwin Jackson, '90 Reds
RP: Octavio Dotel, Westy's Sluggers
RP: David Aardsma, Cheeseheads
RP: Francisco Cordero, Benver Droncos

Team of the Half-Season: O.N. Thugs
Manager of the Half-Season: Pauly
UPL MVP - David Wright, O.N. Thugs
UPL Cy Young - Ubaldo Jimenez, Benver Droncos
UPL Fireman Award - Mariano Rivera, SuckMyKunckleballs
UPL Rookie Pitcher - Jamie Garcia, Hats for Bats (apologies to Stephen Strasburg, Neftali Feliz)
UPL Rookie Hitter - Brennan Boesch, Hats for Bats (apologies to Buster Posey, Jason Heyward)
UPL Out of Nowhere Pitcher - tie, Colby Lewis, Benver Droncos and Mat Latos, '90 Reds
UPL Out of Nowhere Hitter - tie, Paul Konerko, SuckMyKunckleballs and Aubrey Huff, Hats for Bats

As usual, comment away. And be on the lookout for first half report cards for teams.

-Chairman (aka O.N. Thugs)

11 comments:

Pauly said...

Best Undrafted free agent?

Here's the best-of list I put together:
Chris Young (Ari)
Miguel Olivo
Brett Gardner
Delmon Young
Kelly Johnson
Alex Gonzalez
Jaime Garcia
Mike Pelfrey
Troy Glaus

My vote is Chris Young or Jaime Garcia, but I'm biased :)

CJ said...

Pauly - I'd include Brett Gardner (who was a waiver pickup for me) for his .400 obp and high runs scored / stolen bases. He gave me the leverage to trade for Prado, who saved my hopes of getting any production from the 2B slot.

Chairman said...

Pauly. Good category. Like your list. Couple exceptions to note.

Outfielder Chris Young was drafted by Mush Heads (the pitcher was undrafted)

I drafted Glaus, and have had him all year.

A couple additions of varying quality:
Aubrey Huff
Bronson Arroyo
Austin Jackson
Mike Stanton
Carl Pavano
Ty Wigginton
Mike Leake
Jose Guillen
Jim Thome
Colby Lewis
Ike Davis
Jose Bautista
John Axford

Pauly said...

Young...I picked him up before the season started, so I assumed he went undrafted. Damn assumptions.

CJ- I included Gardner.

Should have included brennan boesch too, but he was already mentioned in the awards list. And shame on me for forgetting Bautista -- although I wasn't the first guy to pick him up this year.

Pretty amazing that I have the very best offense in the UPL, but none of the best players.

CJ said...

I suck at reading. And, occasionally, fantasy baseball. Thank god I wouldn't let roland talk me into basketball again. That was the worst :P

But yes, apologies, I had been reading in the position ranks too much and assumed it was in the C-Util format.

Westy said...

How about best player dropped?

I know I tried and gave up on before they became consistent Huff and Latos.

Of course, Posey will probably lead this category.

Chairman said...

Notable Players Dropped - you'll see a lot of me on here :-)

Kevin Gregg 4/2 - Black Sox
Kevin Gregg 4/5 - O.N. Thugs
Clayton Richart 4/6 - Benver
Delmon Young 4/6 - O.N. Thugs
Aubrey Huff 4/11 - Westy
Mike Napoli 4/11 - Whiffers
Mike Leake 4/18 - JimmyDix
Dexter Fowler 4/23 - Westy
Johnny Cueto 4/23 - Mush Heads
Troy Glaus 4/25 (O.N. Thugs - guess I didn't have him all year)
Mat Latos 4/28 - Westy
Octavio Dotel 4/28 - '90 Reds
Alfredo Simon 4/29 - Westy
Tommy Hunter 4/29 - Mush Heads
David Ortiz 4/30 - Whiffers
Mike Napoli 5/3 - Westy
Johnny Cueto 5/8 - O.N. Thugs
Jim Thome 5/8 - '90 Reds
Trevor Cahill 5/11 - O.N. Thugs
Jose Bautista 5/13 - Benver
Mike Leake 5/13 - JimmyDix
Chipper Jones 5/20 - '90 Reds
Corey Hart 5/24 - JimmyDix
Dexter Fowler 5/25 - Westy
Jim Thome 5/31 - O.N. Thugs
Tommy Hunter 6/16 - O.N. Thugs
Buster Posey 6/24 - IamJabrone
Carlos Zambrano 6/26 - Cheeseheads
Adam LaRoche 7/16 - O.N. Thugs

Greg McConnell said...

Of my moves, my favorite was picking up David Ortiz. I remember when Jeff dropped him, I actually had the top waiver priority. I thought about using it, but my hunch was that he'd clear waivers. Once that happened, I scooped him up.

But the story doesn't end there. Aside from not being sure if the real Big Papi would ever resurface, the other reason I didn't waste my waiver priority on him was because I knew Drew Storen was going to get the call (likely in June). When Storen became available, I used my top waiver priority on him.

Storen has been great (thus far) for a rookie. He's had a 2.45 ERA, 1.21 WHIP, and 20 K's in 25 IP. If he becomes a dominant closer next year, he'll have been worth the pickup.

Unfortunately, when I made the move for Storen, that left the top priority to the Thugs. I don't think any of us could have imagined that a guy like Posey would fall into the Thugs' clutches like that--and then like magic Posey becomes Babe Ruth.

Here's my question: Was anyone else trying to grab Storen when he first became available on waivers, or could I have gotten him by letting him reach free agency?

Chairman said...

Greg - your David Ortiz logic was my Corey Hart logic. Just wait for him to clear, and then grab him, and have him turn into Babe Ruth.

To answer your other question...

Who the hell's Drew Storen?

Greg McConnell said...

Who the hell's Drew Storen?

He's currently a quality middle reliever. Put another way, that's Aroldis Chapman's ceiling.

Westy said...

I came *this* close to claiming Ortiz. And I also put in a claim on Storen, so we were thinking alike, Greg.

Not sure if that's a good thing this year...