Friday, April 23, 2010

2009-10 UPL Basketball Post-Season Awards v. 2.0

So, tip of the cap to C-Lauff for his W, and for breaking the O.N. Thugs' deathgrip on UPL Basketball. And I'll chime in with my more traditional version of the UPL post-season awards. The major difference is that I don't adhere to the NBA positions, and instead include our fantasy starting positions. Also, I don't think that having a 3rd team is all that sexy :-)

All-UPL First Team:

PG: Deron Williams, O.N. Thugs
SG: Dwayne Wade, IAmJabrone
G: Steve Nash, Phatsnapper
SF: LeBron James, Wakeup with the King
PF: Dirk Nowitzki, Chowtime
F: Kevin Durant, Love T'Wolves
C: David Lee, IamJabrone
C: Chris Bosh, Love T'Wolves
UTIL: Jason Kidd, SuckMyDribbling Balls
UTIL: Brook Lopez, O.N. Thugs

All-UPL Second Team

PG: Rajon Rondo, Love T'Wolves
SG: Kobe Bryant, O.N. Thugs
G: Stephen Curry, Wakeup with the King
SF: Gerald Wallace, Wakeup with the King
PF: Carlos Boozer, O.N. Thugs
F: Danny Granger, Chowtime
C: Zach Randolph, Love T'Wolves
C: Amare Stoudemire, Phatsnapper
UTIL: Josh Smith, IamJabrone
UTIL: Carmelo Anthony, IamJabrone

UPL Keeper Killer Team

PG: Chris Paul, Sparty Rules
SG: Brandon Roy, O.N. Thugs
G: Gilbert Arenas, IamJabrone
SF: Caron Butler, Westy's Balltastics
PF: Atawan Jamison, Phatsnapper
F: Al Jefferson, Westy's Balltastics
C: Elton Brand, n/a
C: Andris Biedrins, n/a
UTIL: Jose Calderon, Chowtime
UTIL: Devin Harris, Westy's Balltastics

Team of the Year: IamJabrone
Executive of the year: C-Lauff*
UPL MVP - Dwayne Wade, IamJabrone
UPL ROY - Stephen Curry, Wakeup with the King
UPL Out of Nowhere Veterans- Channing Frye, Westy's Balltastics and Carl Landry, IamJabberjaw
UPL Out of Nowhere Young Players - Al Horford, IamJabrone and Anthony Morrow, IamJabberjaw
UPL Out of Nowhere Rookies - Marcus Thornton, Westy's Balltastics and Darren Collison, IamJabrone

*I have a hard time putting someone in here who botched the draft lottery, and then compounded the mistake by hanging on to Anthony Randolph way too long, and then misplayed the endgame... that said, there's no other choice. I can't put myself in there because you can't have an executive of the year that a) missed the draft, and b) missed the last day of the season and left 2-3 games on the table.

Thoughts - I'll talk more about the endgame and the O.N. Thugs/IamJabrone storyline, in a future post. Obviously, the botching of the Taj Gibson situation looms large (I thought that I had put him in at SF, not Reggie Williams - to the point, where I was telling Mikey that I had started him that Wednesday night, before I had a chance to look at my team that night). I'll explain how things went as planned for the O.N. Thugs, until the last 3 days of the season, how the O.N. Thugs deliberately chose to walk a highwire act (out of necessity), and how a handful of unexpected DNP's completely changed.

As for everything else, I think that it's clear that Love T'Wolves should be a scary team. If that team is shrewdly managed, then they are on the podium, and have a fair shot at winning this year. SuckMyDribblingBalls makes the podium, though it's not clear that his roster will have the firepower to really compete for titles. Sparty's team will have a chance so long as CP3 is healthy, Wakeup with the King did a nice job in the 2nd half of the season revamping it's lineup and still has LeBron. Chowtime was bit by injuries early on, and never recovered, though his team looks to have a chance next year. Westy? Don't know how that team will age, but there needs to be some work. As for everyone else? There's work to be done, as well.

3 comments:

Westy said...

I think we're all looking forward to the 'endgame' post.

As for my team, I don't know what to do. Can I just swap teams with my brother?

Chairman said...

Man - I don't know if I'd like to be the owner of Westy's Ballers right now. It's like you're a better version of the Milwaukee Bricks...

I'd say that the one thing is that if you fool yourself into thinking that you're in contention, then things become messy...

Westy said...

It's been a steady downward spiral since the twin-killing of KG and AJ's knees.