Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Throwing The Game... The Baseball Edition

In my other baseball league we've got a few stat categories that can play differently than the UPL's, mainly because its a weekly heads-up league. Our pitching is ranked by 9 stats, all worth 1 point each...

1. Innings Pitched
2. Wins
3. Complete Games
4. Saves
5. Walks (least wins pt)
6. K
7. ERA
8. WHIP
9. K/9

Well, I'm in a situation where my starting pitching kicked ass in the beginning of the week and I'm thinking that I'd be ok with winning most of the categories but benching all but my closers. I like and trust my closers, who have done well for me over there, but I'd almost certainly be punting Innings Pitched, Wins and Strikeouts. But 30 innings with no walks and a K/9 of 11 is something to be cherished and protected, I think.

1 comment:

Chairman said...

Well, it all depends on how many points you think you need to get from your pitching. If you think about how I talk about the endgame (like we were in UPL Basketball this year), essentially, every week is a distinct, endgame scenario waiting to happen. It's not how great you do that's the most important thing (unless you just have an ungodly week across the board), but the upward and downward mobility within each of those stats.

If it looks like your offense is kicking ass, then you protect the points you have. If your offense has sucked, then you need to go for more, and risk giving ground on Walks, WHIP, ERA, K/9.